A new release from NextGen, Flame is sadly not about the illustrious Human Torch from the Fantastic Four. Instead, it’s a strange, meta sci-fi thriller using futuristic imagery, amine-style poster girls and heaps of special features to lure you in. We have to admit, they have us interested!
Read on to see exactly what we made of the game’s graphics, payouts, special features, and more.
Playing the Game
Flame is a futuristic-looking game, with the symbols set against a metallic background. The symbols themselves glow ethereally, and there’s a soft blue flame flowing around the bottom of the reels. The sound effects when it comes to spinning are very subtle: soft blips and beeps, as opposed to the coarse, heavy smack-bang-wallops you get from less nuanced games.
Anyway, in terms of gameplay, there’s a lot to like. The symbols are quite arty and well-designed, while regular wins aren’t horribly infrequent. The golden lion symbol is worth the most cash by far (750 coins for 5 on a payline), and the wolf and eagle are next in line – 250 and 150 respectively.
But here’s where it starts to get really good. In addition to the bonus game (which we’ll describe in a minute) players can randomly trigger seven different base game features with any spin. These are:
- Cross Flare – Activates a “win both ways” feature to amplify your earnings
- Flare Up – In a gush of flame, you’ll receive an instant multiplier on your win up to 10x
- Fire Whirl – The reels are engulfed in fire: all lion, eagle, and wolf symbols are converted to instant cash prizes worth up to 20x
- Live Embers – Burns away all of the low-value symbols and transforms them into wilds
- Spontaneous Combustion – All fire, lightning, water, and leaf symbols are turned into lions, wolves, or eagles.
- Wild Inferno – One respin for every wild which appears during the spin. More wilds? More respins! Wilds also expand to fill the reel.
- Firestorm – Wild and bonus symbols on reels 2, 3, and 4 combine together to form a super symbol
As you’d expect, the free games feature is activated by landing 3+ scatter symbols during a single spin. You’ll automatically receive 15 free spins (pretty generous) but can retrigger up to 30 if you get lucky!
Even better, the 7 base game features not only occur during the free spins, but they appear even more often. Long story short, you have the chance to take home an enormous pay packet if the spins go your way with Flame!
It’s pretty good! The subtle, ethereal music isn’t jarring and doesn’t become irritating or repetitive. The graphic quality is very good (though short of an Yggdrasil) and the payouts (once you trigger a special feature) are quite reliably high. If you’re in the market for a new game that isn’t groundbreaking, but gets the job done, then think about trying Flame.