Danny and Sandy are back, and this time they’re handing out lumps of cash! Grease was a generation-defining musical film, and the lyrics are imprinted on the brain’s of almost every person over 25 in the world. Playtech, who are used to using pop culture to drive the masses to their games, and has now turned its hand to musical numbers.
With all your favourite cast members and songs in tow, Grease is certainly one for the fans.
Gameplay Overview & Symbols
The trouble with most pop culture-inspired slots is that they depend far too much on the source (movie, play, book, etc) than the solid foundations of the slot itself. Unfortunately, the same might be true of Grease.
For a start, the graphic quality and sound effects are appalling. The game is set within the Frosty Palace diner from the movie, dominated by a 5×3 grid of cartoon symbols, a mixture of characters from the film and playing cards. The music sounds more like an old polyphonic ring tone than the hits from a major musical, and the sound effects are straight out of 2002.
The highest-paying symbols (Danny and Sandy) appear as stacked symbols, covering up to 3 places at once. These are only superceded by the ‘heart’ symbol, which is the game’s wild, and is worth up to 50x your stake of 5 on a payline. There are a few in-game special features to keep an eye on:
- Rockin’ and a Rollin’ Respins – When either Danny or Sandy fully occupies reel 1, you automatically receive 3 respins. All wild symbols lock in place for the duration of this mini-round, leading to possibly quite high payouts!
- Sweetheart wilds – Triggered completely at random, between 5-8 wilds will fall from heaven straight onto the reels. As you’d expect, this tends to yield a significant payout!
In addition to these in-game bonuses (which all-but rescue the slow-space base game) there’s a handy free games feature and progressive jackpots which players will enjoy!
The Jukebox Bonus
Land the Grease symbol on reels 1, 3, and 5 simultaneously and you’ll be greeted with a selection of bonuses to choose from:
- Better Shape Up Free Games – 12 free spins where all of the low-value symbols are eliminated from the game. All Danny and Sandy symbols transform into the Danny and Sandy joint symbol to enhance wins.
- Summer Nights Free Games – Only 4 free spins this time, but with the Sweetheart Wilds feature activated there are 5-8 wilds added after every spin!
- Rydell High Bonus – A pick-me bonus where you select photos from the yearbook and reveal the prizes hidden in-behind. After a successful pick, you move to the next round until either you hit ‘game over’, or complete all 5 stages.
This is as easy as it sounds. The ‘Greased Lightning Jackpot’ is triggered completely at random. However, you also need to select 3 correct cards in order to unlock it, so this isn’t very easy to trigger!
If you’re not a fan of the movie, then Grease probably won’t do much for you. It’s very much built around the franchise, and the overall quality of the slot suffers as a result. However, if you whack the soundtrack on Spotify as you play, you might just end up having a ball!